Bloody Knuckles Newsletter

BLOODY KNUCKLES NEWSLETTER If you're interested in weekly updates from me on crime fiction or if you want a quick flash fition read that hits you twice as hard, check out my newsletter by subscribing below.

Enter your email address:

A TinyLetter Email Newsletter

Saturday, September 26, 2009

USS Mount Baker AE-4

I spent some time this morning at the RHPL doing a little research into my late father's life during WWII. I didn't know much aside from family folklore. One such tale involved the renaming of my father's ship in Panama so that it could get through the canals after a rowdy shore leave. I knew the name of his ship (originally launched as the SS Surprise out of a Tampa shipyard, then renamed and renamed again as mentioned above), I knew the years he served, and I knew I had some pictures of him during the war years that didn't involve him or some of his shipmates with their arms around topless girls in grass skirts; after I discovered those and asked my mother about them, the pictures mysteriously disappeared.

The Mt. Baker was an ammo ship used to transport munitions primarily in the Atlantic. I'm piecing bits together by looking at time lines to see where he might have been during a given campaign. I know now that at the time he was supplying ships in the north Atlantic waters, the seas were rife with German U-boats. He sometimes spoke about places he had been during the war, including North Africa and southern Italy. There's a chance he was part of the 1400 vessel assault on Sicily. In the winter of 1944, he shipped out of San Francisco carrying supplies and mail to men in the south Pacific theatre.

I've had an idea for a story based on him for a while. I'm just waiting for it to gel.

1 comment:

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Jack,

Congrats!!

You won a signed copy of Bury Me Deep by Megan Abbott over on the Women of Mystery Blog. I sent you an email at your gmail account. If you haven't received it, please email me through my blogger "about us" link in the WoM sidebar.

Terrie